About John R. Christiansen
I am a second-generation lawyer. I’m the smaller person in the picture above, perched on my father’s arm at his swearing-in as an attorney at the United States Supreme Court.
John R. Christiansen has practiced law since 1985, with an emphasis on health information technology issues since the early 1990s. After practicing in large, national law firm and consulting firm environments for many years, John formed Christiansen IT Law in 2005 in order to practice more flexibly and serve his clients more directly and personally.
Christiansen IT Law serves healthcare, financial and technology-oriented businesses and governmental agencies, and provides expert support to consultants and law firms. Practice areas include:
- Privacy and security compliance under HIPAA, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, Federal Trade Commission standards, the European Union Safe Harbor rules, and other international, federal and state laws.
- Information system acquisition and management; information and application services implementation, leasing, licensing and management; strategic technology partnering, including hosting and services level agreements.
- Information system and protected information risk analysis, auditing and assessment, and risk management.
- Security breach and incident response, including investigation support, exposure and liability analysis, and law enforcement, regulatory agency and stakeholder communications support.
- Mergers and acquisitions involving information technology, protected information, privacy and/or security issues.
- Litigation and other dispute resolution support in matters involving privacy, security or information systems management.
- Development, implementation and management of electronic signature and other identification and authentication solutions.